Form I-9 and Receipts

Your employee may present a receipt for the application for the replacement of any List A, List B, or List C document. This receipt is valid for 90 days. When it expires, the employee must show you the replacement document for which the receipt was given.

When your  employee provides an acceptable receipt, you should:

  • Record the document title in Section 2 under List A, List B or List C, as applicable.
  • Write the word “receipt,” the document title and number and the last day that the receipt is valid.

After the receipt expires, you should:

  • Cross out the word “receipt” and any accompanying document number.
  • Record the number and other required document information from the actual document presented.
  • Initial and date the change.

You may not accept a receipt when employment will last fewer than three (3) days. You may also not accept a receipt for the first application for the identification document. For example, you may accept a receipt to replace a driver’s license that was lost or stolen, but not for an individual’s first-ever application for a driver’s license. Likewise, you may not accept a receipt for the first-ever application for a U.S. Passport.

[ Reference: ]

We cannot submit a new hire for verification until the actual document with photograph is presented (List A & B). You should wait until the new hire brings you the actual document, record the information as described above, then submit for verification. Because we must submit a reason for a delayed verification, please note on the I-9 form that it is being submitted beyond the three-day deadline because the employee initially submitted a receipt.